Friday, November 30, 2012

Two People Fell in Love Painting and Tutorial


I really fell in love with a painting I saw online of each family members hand print in descending order layered on each other with the saying "All because 2 people fell in love".

I love painting and drawing so I thought I would give it a try. I already had the canvas in the garage from a few years ago, I pulled it out dusted it off and got to work.

I used a gray Rustoleum spray paint I had left over from a project I did over the summer. I sprayed the entire thing gray, it took 2 coats.

After that dried I jumped on the computer and created a basic word doc in the font and size I needed. I am a font junkie so I had many to choose from. The font I picked was Amperzand and is free (awesome!!!) you can get it here.
I then printed it off  and cut it up. I played with the spacing and style. When I was happy with the look I got 2 things you most likely have laying around the house: a ball point pen and pastels. You might be able to use chalk (I haven't tried) but I personally like pastels since they don't smudge.


 Once you color the back of the paper with the pastel, I chose peach because the background was darker and I can barely see, so I thought a darker pastel would be hard for me to see when painting.

After the back is colored and working with one word at a time, take the ball point pen and begin to trace around the letters ( see pic below for reference).
This is how it should look so far.


The next part is really difficult if you have little ones that love to paint and craft too. They always want to help! I waited for them to go to bed the broke out the enamel paints and model brushes and got to painting. It took me about a half hour to complete the lettering.
I think it turned out rather well.


Now all I have to do is get everyone to get there hands dirty and layer our prints (before the kids are all grown up).
When it is totally complete I will add a new picture and update you!
Right now though I have it hanging in the foyer of the house, it doesn't look half bad.

Have a great weekend!
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment