Saturday, March 24, 2012

Great Finds Saturday

Scott & I went yard sale shopping today. I love, love, love it. Since we rearranged our room, I decided that I am taking on a new decorating approach that never occurred to me. Prairie Chic/ Farmhouse Chic.
I always thought that I was going to decorate for the era our house was built - mid century modern - and I like that style but, it just didn't really have that homey feel. It probably would have been more appropriate in our 20's. but we are a family now and cocktail parties and clean furniture and a spot free home are not in the near future.

Anyway, I have been loving on the idea of the farmhouse style. We love nature, being outside, gardening, being self sufficient, the idea of owning chickens...so why not create a home that reflects the things we love.

I had really great luck at finding a few treasures to help with the decor.


Handmade quilts and afghans that someone took the time to craft are a passion of mine. They don't even have to be vintage, just crafted by someone so it has a story behind it. These quilted pillows were purchased at an antique shop in Paradise and were handcrafted by an old women who lived in that town (at least that is what the seller told me so it's gotta be true...right?).I only paid $1.00 each so I win win for me
I also found these bottles which are going to sit on a shelf I am making from this...a 100 year old window pulled from an historic home downtown (my husband is a glazier, that's how I get all my old windows and doors). The bottles will hold wild flowers.

I also found some crocheted heart pillows that I am going to tea stain to give them an aged look and some really wonderful yellow paint from the Restore (Habitat for Humanity)to paint an armoire I found on craigslist. I am on my way to having a farmhouse chic bedroom...once we paint over those damned Deep Aubergine walls... for around $100. Not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment