Monday, March 2, 2009

Clean eating & weight lifting on a budget

After I had my baby I told made a promise to myself that I would get back into shape after 6 months. So I have challenged myself to something I call "The Hardbody Challenge". I started it 2 weeks ago and so far so good. The rules of the challenge are very simple, 1) Eat Clean 80% of the time(I still use a brown sugar and some commercial spices, canned soups) 2)Lift Weights 4 days a week and 3)Do Cardio 5 days a week.
Now we are on a pretty tight budget since I am a stay at home mom so I plan 2 weeks worth of clean menus that I rotate. Groceries run me about $180 for 2 weeks and that includes formula/baby food, breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner for me, my husband and daughter.
So lets break it down; Breakfast is usually Oatmeal (quick cook) with 1 1/2 Tbsp of ground flaxseed, 1 Tbsp of raisins and 1 Tbsp of brown sugar. I make 14 baggies of the stuff - lazy mans breakfast, grab and go stuff. If i'm feeling adventerous than I make an oatmeal pancake, moisten 1 baggie of oatmeal with hot water then add 1 egg white, cook like a pancake. Pretty good and you get some protein. Oatmeal and eggs are cheap so this is my main breakfast, also the yolks don't go to waste cause my daughter gets those for breakfast.
Lunch is usually a wrap 3 oz lean ham or turkey, mustard, lettuce and tomatoes in a tortilla or a pouch of tuna with a salad, or leftovers. Pretty simple to make ahead and take with you if need be.
Snack are Chocolate Raspberry Luna Bars (my favorite), lowfat yogurt with berries and/or mixed nuts, hummus (homemade) and either veggies sticks or whole wheat crackers. Also, all natural peanut butter or almond butter on whole wheat toast and 1/2 banana or strawberries sliced on top.
Dinner is a rotation of chicken fajitas, chicken breasts dredged in wheat germ and baked with veggie, 95% lean burger with whole wheat bun, 1 Tbsp ketchup, lettuce & tomato, veggie couscous with tofu, grilled chicken & quinoa with veggie, and crockpot chicken, potato & cottage cheese. All easy to make ahead and freeze or refrigerate ahead of time. I also keep cooked brown rice, asparagas and extra veggies in the freezer for quick sides. Beans and canned fruit in there own juice and canned chicken are in the cupboard for a quick change of pace if I get in a food rut.
Now for my workout, I cannot afford a gym membership so I have created a workout that I enjoy and I can get done in half an hour since the little one doesn't sleep very long after I get up at 5:30 am.
First thing, I have a gym bag packed that I keep next to my purse. I keep 2 pairs of workout clothes, a t-shirt, ipod, running shoes and a pair of socks. I change into my workout clothes as soon as my husband leaves for work and put on my sneakers, that way I can't climb back into bed. I fill my water, check on the sleeping (hopefully) baby and take my vitamins. Then the workout begins. I lift weights first thing because cardio is easy to do during the day with Allison in the jogger.
I am just starting out and I am not a professional so I am doing what I think is good enough for me. I always watch my form when lifting and lift slow and steady. So here is the breakdown.
Monday & Thursday - Upper Body. I do 3 sets of 10 reps each of the following with 10 lb dumbbells, Bicep curls, tricep extension, arnold press, flat bench flye, rear delt flye, dumbbell press, dumbbell lateral raise. I add 20 cruches and 10 reverse cruches after each set.
Tuesday & Friday - Lower Body. I do 3 sets of 10 reps each of the following with 10 lb dumbbells, dumbell squat, dumbbell dead lift, weighted calf raise, weighted lunges, rear leg lift, kneeling kick back, hip raise, lying leg raise. I add 20 cruches and 10 reverse crunches after each set.
Wednesday is rest from weights.
Monday through Friday I take Allison for a 3 mile walk/jog. I am also training to run my 1st 5k by the time I'm 32 - should be no problem.
So, there it is my diet and exercise plan that doesn't cost me more than $90 per week.
Workout credit goes to Oxygen Magazine, I get all my ideas from them and diet plan is based on the principals of Tosca Reno's
Eat Clean Diet book series

No comments:

Post a Comment